[Open-access] [GOAL] Re: Permissions attaching to pre-publication material

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 08:56:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Wise, Alicia (ELS-OXF) <A.Wise at elsevier.com
> wrote:

> Hi Peter,****
>
> ** **
>
> This article was published by Elsevier, and written by an NIH employee.
> The work of US government employees does not attract copyright in the US,
> and so the manuscript is indeed in the public domain.  We would, however,
> suggest that you contact the authors as this is in any case polite but
> there also could be restrictions on the use of the images.

Thank you for  answering this initial question quickly and clearly. I note
that you are "Director of Universal Access". As you may know I have found
it almost impossible to get timely and useful information from Elsevier.
Can I assume that Universal Access offers a formal contact point where
readers and potential authors can expect to get questions on contractual
and legal issues answered. Can I also assume that the Office of Universal
Access was responsible for the document:
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/intro.cws_home/contentmining and that if I
direct questions to your office I can expect replies.

The manuscript that you agree is Public Domain contains the phrase:
*"
*

*Footnotes*
*This is a PDF file of an unedited manuscript that has been accepted for
publication. As a service to our customers we are providing this early
version of the manuscript. The manuscript will undergo copyediting,
typesetting, and review of the resulting proof before it is published in
its final citable form. Please note that during the production process
errors may be discovered which could affect the content, and all legal
disclaimers that apply to the journal pertain.
"
*
Could you indicate whether this phrase originated in part or whole with
Elsevier. It seems very unlikely to have been written by the author - he
does not have "customers". It seems unlikely that the NIH's Pubmed facility
has inserted this as the phraseology "our customers" seems out of place.

Therefore I am assuming that this "unedited manuscript" actually contains
material inserted by Elsevier. Could you indicate whether Elsevier
"requires" authors or Pubmed to insert additional information or
phraseology into the "author's manuscript".

I would also be grateful to know what "Universal Access" is, and where it
is defined.

Peter Murray-Rust

With kind wishes,