[Open-access] How to cite the Panton Principles?

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 14:27:56 UTC 2012

I certainly think a standardised suggested citation would help.

It would make it easier to track the future [citation/altmetric]
impact of the Panton Principles, rather than totting up all the scores
for a 100 different citation variants - harder to do (this happens a
lot with references to software programs I've noticed).

Sadly, very few researchers I encounter have ever heard of the Panton
Principles (yet), and thus I think it may be important to demonstrate
that we *do* have impact (even if it would generally not be formally
cited), beyond just the list of names that have endorsed it.

Also, it would help to demonstrate it's not just a 'random' website
with someone's personal philosophical views on it. (perhaps?)

Also, I think the author names give it a little more credence IMO.

That's my opinion on it anyhow...

Ross

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM, cameronneylon.net <cn at cameronneylon.net> wrote:
> I would use the standard website citation style for the journal/publisher you are working with. If you wish then add the author names but something along the lines of:
>
>> Panton Principles, Principles for open data in science, Murray-Rust P, Neylon C, Pollock R, Wilbanks J, available at http://pantonprinciples.org/ [accessed date]
>
> cheers
>
> Cameron
>
> On 15 Feb 2012, at 00:53, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>
>> You've stumped me!
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Ross Mounce <ross.mounce at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been lucky enough to be invited to help write a book chapter on
>> the theme of collaboration, code, and data sharing.
>> Thus the Panton Principles, Science Code Manifesto and other such
>> things immediately came to mind...
>>
>> But, having looked around a few papers that have already cited the
>> Panton Principles
>> e.g. these http://www.citeulike.org/user/rossmounce/tag/cites_panton_principles
>>
>> I'm a bit confused, because most have cited it as just a website, yet
>> there are four authors clearly listed (PMR, Cameron, Rufus, John)! So
>> um... it may seem a very simple question but...
>>
>> It isn't. It shows the futility of the citation economy. For me the website is fine, except that it suffers from possibly impermanence - maybe the site should have a DOI? Or maybe it should be bunged i a repository.
>>
>> A) How would you recommend I cite this?
>>
>> I suppose it depends on why it should be cited. Is it because you wish to increase the authors' hindexes? Because it won't. Most citations are rituals - people never read the contents. Whether putting authors' names increases actual readers I don't know.
>>
>> How would you cite the US declaration of independence? Washington, Jefferson et. al? (Not that the PP are quite as important yet)
>>
>> B) Perhaps once a recommended format is decided upon, could we put it
>> up on the Panton Principles website, to make it easier for others to
>> cite? e.g. a 'suggested citation format'
>>
>> That's a good idea.
>>
>> Some example citation forms I've seen so far include:
>>
>> Panton Principles, Principles for open data in science,
>> http://pantonprinciples.org/
>> Panton Principles for Open Data in Science: http://pantonprinciples.org/
>>
>> I'd favour this as it's the actual title.
>>
>> Panton Principles Web site http://pantonprinciples.org/
>> Panton Principles - Principles for Open Data in Science
>>

>> Best,
>>
>> Ross
>>

>> --
>> Peter Murray-Rust
>> Reader in Molecular Informatics
>> Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry
>> University of Cambridge
>> CB2 1EW, UK
>> +44-1223-763069

Ross Mounce
PhD Student
Fossils, Phylogeny and Macroevolution Research Group
University of Bath
4 South Building, Lab 1.07
http://about.me/rossmounce