[Open-access] Authors' manuscripts

Björn Brembs b.brembs at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 15 15:22:18 UTC 2012

Klaus Graf wrote:

> I cannot say anything on US copyright but from the viewpoint of German
> law the protection refers to a work. AM = VoR in respect of copyright.

You may be more versed in these matters than I, but at last
year's Open Access week here in Berlin, I heard a lawyer
emphasize over and over again in his presentation that
German "Urheberrecht" (the right to the 'work') is nothing
like 'copyright' and that it is currently not solved how US
copyright and EU law can be made to agree with each other.

I went away from this talk thinking that nobody has any
strong legal case against any EU author who does something
with their own work, due to this unresolved conflict, but
things may have changed since then.

Bjoern

--
Björn Brembs