[Open-access] Introducing: Who Needs Access? You Need Access!

Douglas Carnall dougie.carnall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:51:06 UTC 2012

On 17 February 2012 02:42, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:

> 4. Ideas of who to interview.  [At the moment, the two "interviews" on
> the site are faked up from comments made in email and on blogs, and
> found on websites.  They will need to be redone or replaced before we
> go public.]

Good effort Mike! I'm quite happy with what you've done so far to
stand as it is. I don't think I should be the only translator quoted
though: there are much more eminent authorities than I that might be
interviewed. In translation theory jargon, the work we'd like to do
with open access articles is known the analysis of "parallel texts."
There is an extensive literature on this, and I think a review of the
subject, starting from the perspective of what open access might do
for translation quality, would be a good initiative.

There would also be mileage in pursuing the issue within the many
departments of translation studies and linguists' professional
associations, with the aim of encouraging reflection and debate on the
issue. Declarations of support for open access policies from such
organisations would be valuable.

I'll see what I can do ;-)

Regards to all,

D.