[Open-access] Introducing: Who Needs Access? You Need Access!

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Fri Feb 17 12:16:29 UTC 2012

On 17 February 2012 11:51, Douglas Carnall <dougie.carnall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 February 2012 02:42, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:
>
>> 4. Ideas of who to interview.  [At the moment, the two "interviews" on
>> the site are faked up from comments made in email and on blogs, and
>> found on websites.  They will need to be redone or replaced before we
>> go public.]
>
> Good effort Mike! I'm quite happy with what you've done so far to
> stand as it is.

Thanks, that's great!

Feel free to send me more, though.  Oh, and if you have a better
photo, that would appreciated.  Or two or three, if you have them,
maybe one of them showing you at work?

> I don't think I should be the only translator quoted
> though: there are much more eminent authorities than I that might be
> interviewed.

That's great.  But I don't want to make big pages, I want to do many
short case-studies, each associated with an actual human being rather
than just an organisation.  So the one about you should stand, and
we'll add other pages about other translators as the opportunity
arises.  They will all be in the "translators" category, of course, so
you can click on that to see them all.

> In translation theory jargon, the work we'd like to do
> with open access articles is known the analysis of "parallel texts."
> There is an extensive literature on this, and I think a review of the
> subject, starting from the perspective of what open access might do
> for translation quality, would be a good initiative.

Yes; but not for this site.  I want to keep it simple and accessible
for any reasonably intelligent adult.  That doesn't mean we can't go
into any detail at all, of course, but we need to do it in an
accessible way such as you might find in, say, the Sunday Times colour
supplement.  Or maybe the Mail On Sunday.

-- Mike.