[Open-access] Collections of Libre material

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 01:32:20 UTC 2012

re: example Scholarly Poor cases (non-academics with legitimate uses
for literature having trouble accessing it)

There's a good one in the comments section on a recent Mike Taylor post:
https://svpow.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/all-right-then-so-what-are-the-alternatives/#comment-14883

Traumador-the-Tyrannosaur writes:

"As a hobbist palaeo-artist one of the biggest restrictions and
challenges I have is doing proper research, so I don’t continue memes
or create a false reconstruction. During the day I’m an elementary
school teacher, so I have no access whats so ever to academic
literature (except all the cool new stuff coming out of PLoS and the
other new free access journals). Even just from my job’s point of
view, my task of science education would be made so much easier if I
had direct access to what scientists are saying rather than having to
rely on second or third hand rewrites of those same papers."

1.) Art - Can't create biologically-accurate artworks reconstructing
how fossil creatures looked (because most of the original descriptions
of them are behind paywalls)

2.) School teaching - this quotes speaks for itself - no paraphrasing needed!

"my task of science education would be made so much easier if I had
direct access to what scientists are saying rather than having to rely
on second or third hand rewrites of those same papers."

Two-cases in one!

Best,

Ross

PS please msg me if there's a wiki or website I'm meant to be adding
these to - I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed by the volume of emails on
these Open- mailing lists lately. Can be hard to keep track
sometimes...