[Open-access] Green Gold Gratis Libre

cameronneylon.net cn at cameronneylon.net
Fri Feb 24 14:52:47 UTC 2012

>> Strictly speaking if we're focussed on BOAI this point is moot as the BOAI specifies CC-BY
>
> Wait -- do you mean that literally?  I have been using
>        http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/boaifaq.htm#openaccess
> as the BOAI definition -- it describes something very like CC-BY, but
> doesn't name (which is unsurprising as IIRC it predates CC).  Is there
> a newer BOAI definition that actually SAYS CC-BY?

Sorry, been a long day/week/month whatever.

My reading of the BOAI, which as you say predates CC is that it is clear that "the only use of copyright is to assure attribution and to ensure the integrity of their work" which to me makes it clear that it should be CC-BY (you could make an argument that it allows ND but I'm pretty sure we don't want to go down that road!)

>> (as does the Open Source Definition).
>
> No.  The OSD
>        http://opensource.org/docs/osd
> definitely does not mention CC, and does includes the GNU GPL, which
> has an SA condition.
>        http://opensource.org/licenses/category

Yeh, sorry, you are absolutely right. Getting my NC and SA mixed up while I'm typing, which just shows that I very badly need a holiday….

>> One of the things that's worrying me is the conflation of BOAI and OKD which are actually different on this point.
>
> Absolutely:
>        http://opendefinition.org/
> is explicitly SA-friendly.

And there are historical and philosophical reasons for that that I recommend people get their heads around. It's a quite subtle but important differing of views.

>> As Mike says, we probably don't want to start that argument up again (I'm right, you're all wrong, clearly) but we should probably be clear about this. For me BOAI-compliant is pretty clear.
>
> Agreed.  It says what we want it to say, AND it's the oldest
> definition (at least among those in common knowledge -- right?) of the
> term "open access".  That it the one we want to be using.

It's the original and best in my view - but then I'm biased :-)

Cheers

Cameron