[Open-access] Green Gold Gratis Libre

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 24 15:33:53 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:

> >> Agreed. This is an excellent division
> >
> > This is the sort of confusion which makes us to an OA sect.
>
> While I am not sure exactly what Klaus means by that last statement, I
> do have to say that I agree that I mistaken in equating CC-BY with
> libre and CC-BY-NC with gratis.  Suber's post explicitly says that he
> considers CC-BY-NC to be a libre licence -- merely not the most
> liberal.  It's unfortunate, but there it is.
>
> To summarise:
>        CC => libre (to some degree)
>        CC-BY => BBB
>
> I think that is all we can confidently say.
>
> As you say, Peter Suber says:
No.  Because there is more than one kind of permission barrier to remove,
there is more than one kind or degree of libre OA.  BBB OA is one kind or
subset of libre OA.  But there are others, and not all libre OA is BBB OA.

For example, permitting all uses except commercial use (the CC-NC license)
and permitting all uses except derivative works (the CC-ND license) are not
equivalent to one another and --ignoring certain subtleties-- not
compatible with the BBB definition.  But they all remove price barriers,
they all remove at least some permission barriers, and therefore they are
all libre OA.

We shouldn't speak as if there were just one kind of libre OA.  Gratis OA
may be just one thing (freedom from price barriers), but libre OA is a
*range* of things (freedom from price barriers and one or more permission
barriers).

 I had forgotten this. I have argued it with PeterS and I think it's the
root of many of our problems. You can remove one small permission barrier
and therefore call it LIBRE. Libre can be crafted so that the recipient has
almost no rights. LIBRE-OA is NOT the same as LIBRE-software

So we should stick with BOAI or BBB - and work out which. We are all agreed
that NC and ND are detrimental to what we want to see.

It is a very confusing area and one of the most valuable things we can do
is to make everything rock-solidly clear and make our arguments on top of
that.

p.

-- Mike.