[Open-access] Well, this is unexpected!

cameronneylon.net cn at cameronneylon.net
Mon Feb 27 12:43:40 UTC 2012

>> To be honest RWA was dead in the water from day one.
>
> How so?  It certainly didn't look that way from my relatively
> uninformed position.

It was a pre-emptive strike to create a negotiation from a position of strength. They never really expected to get it through as far as I can tell. I don't get this DC politics stuff but its all shadow boxing as far as I can work out. Just that real people get hurt in the process.

>> The challenge now is to get a positive momentum behind real change and to get more of the people who have become aware of the issues to become more active. FRPAA is phase one.
>
> Yes.

Yep.

>> Finch report in the UK and then the EU are next key steps.
>
> What is this Finch report?  You've mentioned it a couple of times, but
> the only one I've been able to find is something to do with nursing,
> and I don't think can be related.  Is it the in-progress report that's
> wandering off target?  Are there any web sites about it?  What
> can/should be done?

http://www.researchinfonet.org/publish/wg-expand-access/

Not sure what should be done yet. We need to be well positioned to either affect the outcome or produce a compelling alternative document. But I'm not sure of strategy on this at the moment and haven't had head space to think about it to be honest.

Cheers

Cameron