[Open-access] Well, this is unexpected!

Tom Olijhoek tom.olijhoek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 10:43:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:06 AM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> I agree that we need to force the positive. Some months ago I proposed
> that access to the scientific literature should be a fundamental human
> right:
>
> http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2011/09/30/access-to-scientific-publications-should-be-a-fundamental-right/
> It's simple to understand, compelling and politically tractable.
> Is there a chance that this would fly in Europe? I have been invited to a
> meeting where Neelie Kroos will be present - we need a simple concept that
> we should hammer.

In my opinion it would be very good to use this approach with Neelie Kroes.
I think she will be sensitive to these (political) arguments. At the same
time I hope that we will have index data and tables with journal
restriction policies, that might convince her to support us.  When and
where will this meeting take place??
TOM