[Open-access] new open access initiative

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Mon Jan 30 15:40:43 UTC 2012

On 30 January 2012 15:32, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> initiative will further fragment the already fragmented OA landscape
>>> rather than serving as a condensation point for a more unified voice.
>>> (I think of the many attempts to unify document formats by making a
>>> simple metaformat that can be translated into HTML, RTF, etc., with
>>> the inevitable consequence that the new format becomes just one more
>>> format that needs supporting.)
>
> This isn't quite similar (I do this with chemistry filetypes). The OA
> concept is simple if one hangs onto BOAI. The splintering has already taken
> place. So our variant is simply reaffirming one of the nodes.

Right -- the Budapest node.

Which leads me to ask: what happened to the original group that put
that definition out and built the website?  Are they still running?
If so, could we do this in concert with them?  After all we are
working to promulgate their definition; and any branding program would
have more weight if it was associated with the Budapest initiative
itself.

>>> What can we do to avoid this?
>
> It's 100% a political question. The "mainstream OA" community has a
> philosophy that simply using the term "open access" is sufficient - it
> doesn't matter what it refers to.

Are you sure that's true?  All I am seeing along those lines is
Stephen Harnad pasting the same long comment into a hundred different
blogs' comment streams.  He is loud, sure, but there is only one of
him.

-- Mike.