[Open-access] new open access initiative

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 30 16:26:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:

> > This isn't quite similar (I do this with chemistry filetypes). The OA
> > concept is simple if one hangs onto BOAI. The splintering has already
> taken
> > place. So our variant is simply reaffirming one of the nodes.
>
> Right -- the Budapest node.
>
> Which leads me to ask: what happened to the original group that put
> that definition out and built the website?  Are they still running?

There are having a 10 years reunion.

> If so, could we do this in concert with them?  After all we are
> working to promulgate their definition; and any branding program would
> have more weight if it was associated with the Budapest initiative
> itself.
>
> *Leslie Chan*:* Bioline International**
Darius Cuplinskas*:* Director, Information Program, Open Society Institute**
Michael Eisen*:* Public Library of Science**
Fred Friend*: Director Scholarly Communication, University College London*
Yana Genova*: Next Page Foundation
*Jean-Claude Guédon*: University of Montreal*
Melissa Hagemann*: Program Officer, Information Program, Open Society
Institute
*Stevan Harnad*: Professor of Cognitive Science, University of Southampton,
Universite du Quebec a Montreal*
Rick Johnson*: Director, Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources
Coalition (SPARC)
*Rima Kupryte*: Open Society Institute*
Manfredi La Manna*: Electronic Society for Social Scientists
*István Rév*: Open Society Institute, Open Society Archives
*Monika Segbert*: eIFL Project consultant *
Sidnei de Souza*: Informatics Director at CRIA, Bioline International*
Peter Suber*: Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College & The Free Online
Scholarship Newsletter*
Jan Velterop*:* Publisher, BioMed Central*
I believe that OSI (now OSF) people are committed to full BOAI. Peter Suber
laments the failure to live up to CC-BY but deliberately takes a neutral
stance - he refrains from activism on this issue. IMO this is a pity. SPARC
used to be strongly CC-BY  but I get the feeling this has somewhat lapsed.
I think JanV believes in CC-BY.

> > It's 100% a political question. The "mainstream OA" community has a
> > philosophy that simply using the term "open access" is sufficient - it
> > doesn't matter what it refers to.
>
> Are you sure that's true?  All I am seeing along those lines is
> Stephen Harnad pasting the same long comment into a hundred different
> blogs' comment streams.  He is loud, sure, but there is only one of
> him.

I think he has built a position where no-one dares challenge him - he wears
them done. People like me who challenge non-BOAI get lots of pushback and
no support. So I don't believe that anyone (publicly) feels this is a
problem. There is "GreenOA" and that's an "equal partner" with GoldOA and
so it persists. I believe it won't change.