[Open-access] new open access initiative

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 31 11:40:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Tom Olijhoek <tom.olijhoek at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk>wrote:
>

>> I don't see why we need to have the rest of the community involved from
> the very beginning. Why couldn't we start with a small group and get
> community support in the process? It would probably be better to not have
> too many factions involved in the beginning since this would be more
> difficult to manage ( this has been said before we started this mailing
> list: keep it small for the moment).
> If we seek collaboration with the originators of the BOAI (and I am all
> for that to happen) we wouldn't challenge anybody, except for the people
> who do not want "real" open access. And I would think that we want to
> challenge them, that is one point of the whole exercise. If we don't get
> the collaboration, "at least we have asked" (as I remember this has also
> been said before in our group).
> In my view a logical  first step in reclaiming the term Open Access is to
> use it in the name of the new Initiative, especially if we want to start a
> kind of certification with an OA-LOGO.
> I cannot judge whether using the term Foundation would imply that we have
> a big organisation. As far as I know you can start a Foundation with as few
> as 3 people. I read in Wikipedia that the term does not carry legal clout
> at least not in the UK. In  NL we would have to be registered. A foundation
> Initiative though would not be much of a problem anyway, or am I wrong?
>

> This all makes sense. I carry a lot of history and that probably distorts
my judgment pessismistically. So everything here seems reasonable.

SPARC offer certification, though I don't get the impression it's as active
as it should be. Maybe we should start with areas they don't cover.

Yes - in the UK it doesn't take much to set up a Foundation in the
beginning. Getting support is probably more difficult. It will be quite a
lot of work. Yes, ask the original members and see what happens. We aren't
asking their permission - we are asking their support.

I'm happy to be part of this - probably a good idea if there are fresh
drivers. There's more detail we need to work out

P.