[Open-access] new open access initiative

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 31 15:24:36 UTC 2012

 I'm very responsive to the current discussion. I am increasingly
interested in doing something different rather than incremental in the
current system. I also want to work with current groups where possible but
not to be subsumed into them.

I think we should establish our own identity as roughly "within the OA
community but distinct from existing efforts". Our strength is that we are
practising scientists and identify closely with authorship and readership
in the most general sense. We have the energy, vision, and hopefully
eCharisma to attract like-minded people and grow organically. We also are
skilled at web technology and developing tools.

When we have established our raison d'etre to our own satisfaction we can
certainly approach a selected number of other groups. We should probably
identify areas where we can hope to offer something substantive and
valuable wh ich will help to attract people and funding. This may well be
OpenResearchReports but there may be other things.