[Open-access] new open access initiative

Tom Olijhoek tom.olijhoek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 16:01:40 UTC 2012

Hi,

I totallly agree with you, Jenny! We want cooperation wherever possible and
we want to concentrate on the countries / groups of people in need. These
are the basic purposes we have to communicate.
 That said, I am not so afraid of becoming just another initiative in the
OA ocean.  I feel the need for a new initiative for all the reasons that
have been brought up .If we can engage formerly quiet people like malaria
researchers in Africa, and like the activists from the HIFA forum that
Jenny talks about in the other mailing our initiative will represent
something unique. I think we need to be very careful to communicate all our
purposes in a clear way, see whaT OTHER GROUPS ARE DOING  and decide what
we want to do. The initiative must  have a bottom-up structure: I see a
main task in coordinating various efforts and offering a communication
platform for community building. I think someone like Peter Suber could go
along with this. Another unique selling point for our Initiative could be
the promotion of (the usage of) an OA Index.  This could .become a valuable
PR tool to encourage scientific publishers to adopt OA, to encourage
scientists to publish in OA journals and for others to get involved in the
movement..