[Open-access] An anti-RWA bill

Nick Barnes nb at climatecode.org
Tue Jan 31 19:58:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 19:45, Björn Brembs <b.brembs at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Given the track record of the publishers now, an author
> pays OA model will most likely be even worse than what we
> have today.

Worse how, and for whom?

> For the US scientists, this means that on top of the ~100k
> they are in debt after college, they have another 50k on top
> in debt for publishing fees.

Seriously, are many scientists paying publishing fees out of their own pockets?

> I'd say it is fairly obvious that if we only aim to change
> that and nothing else, the situation would clearly be worse

Worse how, and for whom?

> Why would they, given that universal author pays OA would be
> even worse that what we have now?

Worse how, and for whom?

> That step, if universally realized, would be worse than what
> we have now (at least for scientists)

Worse how, and for whom?

Your jetlag is probably interacting poorly with mine.  I'm trying to
understand you, but not getting anywhere.  You appear to be declaring
yourself as an enemy of increased open access.  You're entitled to
that position, but there may be better venues to air it than on this
mailing list.
--
Nick Barnes, Climate Code Foundation, http://climatecode.org/