[Open-access] @ccess versus open access

Tom Olijhoek tom.olijhoek at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 11:26:30 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I am not completely in agreement with the reasoning for wanting "*BOAI
compliant open access*" as the choice term.

My most important objection is that the *Berlin declaration added
description of open access to data and metadata* which as far as I can see
were not included in Budapest Decl which focussed on scholarly
publications. The *Bethesda declaration was strong on the use of open
access publication records of scientists for appointments*:

   1. We reaffirm the principle that only the intrinsic merit of the work,
   and not the title of the journal in which a candidate’s work is published,
   will be considered in appointments, promotions, merit awards or grants.

   2. We will regard a record of open access publication as evidence of
   service to the community, in evaluation of applications for faculty
   appointments, promotions and grants.

 Then second I find the term BOAI compliant a bit cumbersome and not very
appealing.

Third I think that in the time of having all info only 1 click away ,
looking up definitions is not really a big deal,  I wonder whether many
will do so anyway. Interested people can also find all info on BBB
definition in one place in the Wikipedia chapter on open access.

I am also not wildly enthousiastic about B3 or 3B but I think we should
refer to all three definitions since they are complementary and have added
value.

cheers

TOM