[Open-access] Fwd: [sparc-oaforum] Open Access Index

Mark MacGillivray mark at cottagelabs.com
Sun Jun 24 02:07:36 UTC 2012

Hi Tom,

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Tom Olijhoek <tom.olijhoek at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I must say that I am a bit surprised. But I have also been afraid for a
> long time that something like this would happen, because I felt that the
> idea of OA Index had been around for so long.
> We did advertise our ideas on an open access index openly, it has even
> been on the homepage for quite a while.
> I also informed a lot of people of it and by now I would have guessed that
> many in the open access movement would have heard of our ideas.
> What surprises me most of all is that they have an open access index
> initiative funded by JISC???
> I have been pushing for funding and we are in the process of contacting
> OSF for the funding of our open access index.
> It is true that their ideas are for an open access index for authors and
> very different from ours. But this will be very confusing to say the least.
> And I am not willing to changer names. We really had the name OA Index
> before anyone else .I even had a domain reserved 8 months ago
> openaccessindex.org.
> I think it is very urgent that we claim the name open access index for us.
> But rtell me your views.

I think probably there would be good potential to just combine them up - if
Theo and the library people here are looking at doing an OA index for
authors, and JISC are funding it, and you are looking at other sources, we
can pool them together under the term "open access index". We were already
at the point of thinking we would need multiple figures to highlight
varying aspects of open, so having one for authors and one for journals -
and myself and others at cottage labs were originally interested in one for
institutes - would be no bad thing.

Mark