[Open-access] german docs on open access

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 4 12:55:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:

> On 4 May 2012 13:06, Tom Olijhoek <tom.olijhoek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mike,
> >
> > OK, I will do that as soon as I can find the time.
>
> Appreciated.
>
> > BTW I read the nature blog comment series Harnad <---> you yourself
>  liked
> > your comments!
>
> Thanks!
>
> > It is really apparent that open access according to Harnad is something
> > quite different from @ccess.
>
> Sadly, yes.
>
> > We have to make absolutely clear in our @ccess article that gratis,
> green,
> > even libre aren't enough for open science to happen, and that we want
> @ccess
>
> Well, I agree on Gratis and even on Libre (since the usually reliable
> Peter Suber collaborated with Harnad on giving it that
> doesn't-mean-anything-specific-at-all definition).  But I'm not sure I
> understand your objection to Green.  While Gratis-vs.- at ccess is about
> WHAT you get, surely Green-vs.-Gold is only about HOW you get it?

This is technically correct Mike. The problem is that very few Green
deposition are technically CC-BY. So almost always "Green" means - a
self-archived manuscript (of some sort) without explicit licence or with a
licence that forbids re-use. So the language slips to equate Green with
non-reusable.

As an example of re-usable green BMC is archiving my papers in our repo.
They are CC-BY in BMC - Gold. When they get into the Cambridge repo they
will be Green. They may not have a licence and Cambridge - like other univs
- stamps everything as non-reusable. But they could be Green CC-BY if
people put the effort in.

P.