[Open-access] german docs on open access

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 4 13:54:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:

> So implicit vs. explicit, like gratis vs. libre, is orthogonal to
> green vs. gold.  And while we would all agree that explicit is better
> than implicit and libre is better than gratis, I am still not seeing
> an *intrinsic* reason for strongly preferring green over gold.

Proper libre (as in F/OSS not the Suber-Harnad misuse) requires an explicit
statement of freedom.

> Of course it may well be the case that green is more often implicit
> about terms than gold is; and that would certainly be something to fix
> about those specific green repositories.  But it's not the fault of
> green itself.  Correlation does not imply causality.

The problem is we are dealing with the result fo 10 years of misuse of
terminology. That makes it very difficult to use the terminology to
describe the problem. While we make be correct in what we say, many people
will not understand us correctly.

We discussed at one stage trying to reclaim usage. I am not hopeful of
doing this while the main players confuse issues. By all means we can
describe what we mean in the current terms..