[Open-access] If open access, then libre open access. If libre open access, then CC BY!

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sat May 26 15:55:21 UTC 2012

Thanks Klaus,

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Klaus Graf <klausgraf at googlemail.com>wrote:

there must be

> thousands of authors using the license (keep in mind that, since 2003,
> PloS has published since nearly 50,000 articles). If there are
> problems with this license, they are not apparent.
>
> Agreed - and this is a very strong argument against the "argument" that
CC-BY would lead to stealing, ripoffs, misrepresentation, etc.

> There is, I must concede, some loss of control for authors when using
> the CC BY license. One can, for example, publish a translation of an
> article without asking the author, and the author may not like the
> translation.

We are in the twenty-first century and this is now mainstream culture -
responsible re-use. People may use my work to argue in ways I believe are
fallacious but these should be challenged in the court of public opinion,
not the court of law (which is the only thing that copyright understands).