[Open-access] [GOAL] Re: Hitler, Mother Teresa, and Coke

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 6 08:58:21 UTC 2012

Copied only to the OKFN open-access list.

It may be useful to consider the question: "what can we do to change the
situation?" - the OKF has a strong tradition of building things to change
the world. The distinction between publishing for communication and
publishing for reputation is valuable. Maybe by changing and improving the
former (which I think OKFN is well placed to do) we can separate them.

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Leslie Carr <lac at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Publishers are capitalists - I don't think they'd argue the point.

This is a generalization. Many learned societies and scientific unions are
not capitalists.