[Open-access] [GOAL] Re: Hitler, Mother Teresa, and Coke

Katie Foxall katie at ecancer.org
Tue Nov 6 12:00:41 UTC 2012

The distinction between publishing for communication and publishing for
reputation is valuable. Maybe by changing and improving the former (which I
think OKFN is well placed to do) we can separate them.

This is the mission of the journal I work on - we aren't interested in
chasing a respectable impact factor and we don't charge at either end, we're
also starting to publish/translate from other languages for free.  We want
everyone to be able to read and publish articles with no barriers.  There is
funding available for us to do this so it shows that it can be done.

We're currently looking into Alt metrics as a fairer alternative to the
impact factor - I'm hoping this is the way publishing will go
http://altmetrics.org/manifesto/