[Open-access] example tweet Fw: "Pressure on MEPs is necessary." Fw: (draft mail) now write to your MEPs see Fw: ITRE committee members Fw: Re: Horizon2020 current draft anywhere?

cameronneylon.net cn at cameronneylon.net
Wed Nov 21 22:06:44 UTC 2012

I haven't had time to really get to the bottom of this but I would strongly suggest *against* arguing for voting against this amendment. The situation is that this is the compromise amendment that has been agreed by those MEPs that are pro-OA (most of them, although not all very well informed) and the small number against.

The critical part of the text is that OA is mandatory for articles and will be defined in the grant agreement. The text is imperfect, mainly due to being unclear rather than any bad intentions I feel, but its probably what we can get, and it means implementation is the place where it can be got right.

So by all means call for clarification or point out weaknesses - but a vote against the compromise is a vote against including the OA section at all.

Cheers

Cameron