[Open-access] Ross Mounce (Panton Fellow) on BBC about Open Access

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 07:09:32 UTC 2012

I'm afraid I didn't appear much in the programme.

Dame Finch & David Willetts talked a lot of sense so I didn't want to
interrupt them too much.

I feel it got sidetracked into the relatively minor issues of humanities
research publishing (which I believe is only a small component of the UK's
total academic research output).

I'd be interested in hearing more about humanities research and open access
if anyone on these lists is involved in these areas. I got the impression
from talking with some of those concerned afterwards that humanities
academics are very drawn to *paper* copies of journals, and this thus
increases the cost of publishing for them.

Paper journals are irrelevant to me and my research - they are 20th century
reminders of how research used to be distributed. All I need is research
distributed via the internet to be read on computers, tablets, phones, and
other devices and hence I feel the cost of publishing research need only be
very small. I suspect the difference of opinion encountered was based
around this.

Best,

Ross

PS Since I didn't get to mention it on air: it's Open Access Week soon!
22-28 October: http://www.openaccessweek.org/    Help celebrate & raise
awareness of OA!

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:

> On 3 October 2012 07:47, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > In case you missed it there was a discussion on radio3 last night about
> > #openaccess which included Willets, Finch, and @rmounce. I thought the
> > discussion was good, impressed with how well Willetts (and the
> interviewer)
> > understood the issues and the way they presented their emphasis on Gold
> OA.
> >
> > Anyone know if there is a recording?
>
> Here it is:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01n1rth/Night_Waves_Anne_Applebaum/
>
> (I've not had time to listen yet.)
>
> -- Mike.

Ross Mounce
PhD Student & Panton Fellow
Fossils, Phylogeny and Macroevolution Research Group
University of Bath, 4 South Building, Lab 1.07
http://about.me/rossmounce