[Open-access] Hearing more about humanities research and open access

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 4 11:05:31 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Dan Scott <
dan.scott at socialsciencesdirectory.com> wrote:

> Dear Peter****
>
> ** **
>
> In answer to your question, I worked in subscription publishing and became
> so infuriated with its iniquities that I set out to provide an alternative,
> as outlined below.****
>
> **

Thanks,
I am very pleased to find new initiatives that don't rely on subscription
paywalls.

> **
>
> On September 24th, the first issue of Social Sciences Directory<http://socialsciencesdirectory.com/index.php/socscidir/index>was published and it will be followed shortly by Humanities
> Directory<http://humanitiesdirectory.com/index.php/humanitiesdirectory/index>.
> These are new multi-disciplinary publications, which aim to revolutionise
> scholarly publishing by providing quality, affordable content without the
> barrier of subscription paywalls. Our approach is modern and progressive,
> whilst adhering to recognised publishing standards. I am writing to ask if
> you will help us to disseminate information by passing on details to your
> members, and by doing so benefiting the faculty, researchers, students and
> librarians of your membership’s institutions by increasing the reach and
> speed of their research output. We would also be delighted to talk to your
> association or society directly about possible publishing partnerships.

Although I think this para is aimed at universities I have copied this to
the OKF open-access list. This is a few months old and hopefully some
readers will find points they wish to explore. As with most OKF things we
are effectively a  community/meritocracy so that things happen, often
quickly, but not always predictably.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> We aim to****
>
> **·         **capture the best of international research across the
> disciplines of social sciences and arts & humanities****
>
> **·         **conduct peer-review and publish papers in online formats****
>
> **·         **facilitate discussion and information sharing through
> discussion platforms****
>
> **·         **augment research content with valuable additional reading
> materials such as dissertations, reviews, presentations and reports****
>
> ** **
>
> Our first issue contains papers on ****
>
> **·         ***Successful transition to retirement in Australia<http://socialsciencesdirectory.com/index.php/socscidir/article/view/19>
> *
>
> **·         ***Knowledge, attitude and belief of pregnant women towards
> safe motherhood in a rural Indian setting<http://socialsciencesdirectory.com/index.php/socscidir/article/view/23>
> *
>
> **·         ***Gender equality in the workplace: the perceptive reality<http://socialsciencesdirectory.com/index.php/socscidir/article/view/24>
> *****
>
> **

These would certainly be of interest to many OKF people and attendees of
#okfest.

>  **
>
> Our philosophy is that research in one field can also have applications in
> areas of research beyond that intended and the inter-disciplinary nature of
> a large collection of work – spanning the boundaries of subject and state -
> will help to cross-fertilise ideas. Open access publishing provides
> significant benefits for authors and readers alike in speeding up the time
> to publication and dissemination, author copyright retention and providing
> value-for-money for taxpayers. We aim to publish a regular schedule of
> research going forwards.****

I personally agree. Journals used to be more multidisciplinary that they
are today.

> We recognise the difficulty in moving from traditional journal publishing
> to new forms. You want to be able to trust that the publication maintains
> quality standards and maximises dissemination of your department’s work. We
> also firmly believe that Social Sciences Directory addresses many of the
> flaws within the scholarly publishing industry and can provide better
> levels of service. Submissions have been received from the UK, Australia,
> France, Brazil, Ethiopia, India and Kenya, whilst editors and reviewers
> from all over the world have offered their services, demonstrating an
> appetite and widespread support for the initiative. We hope that you will
> support our cause, will encourage your members to consider us when choosing
> where to publish and, if possible, mention *Social Sciences Directory*and Humanities Directory on your website.
> ****

One of the key things we need is optimism in new business models.Openness
is a valuable commodity but insufficiently valued!