[Open-access] how open is it

cameronneylon.net cn at cameronneylon.net
Tue Sep 25 18:54:22 UTC 2012

Some quick answers:

Yes this is the first step in what I've been talking to some of you about for the past several months.

On 25 Sep 2012, at 19:03, Jonathan Gray wrote:

>  * "Generous reuse & remixing rights (CC-BY license)" - The allusion
> to CC-BY is helpful, but it would also be good if this box explicitly
> mentioned OpenDefinition.org as a standard for fully open licenses -
> e.g. for cases where there may be bespoke or custom licenses.

Without wishing to re-open old wounds, the OpenDefinition isn't really appropriate in this context as it isn't strong enough as a definition for interoperability of bespoke licences. We're adopting the BOAI original definition alongside the recommendations of BOAI10 here that CC-BY is best practice (for journal *articles*...not really referring strongly to data here) ie share-alike is not "open enough" in this domain.

But feel free to comment!

Cheers

Cameron