[Open-access] how open is it

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Sep 25 18:59:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM, cameronneylon.net <cn at cameronneylon.net> wrote:
> On 25 Sep 2012, at 19:03, Jonathan Gray wrote:
>>  * "Generous reuse & remixing rights (CC-BY license)" - The allusion
>> to CC-BY is helpful, but it would also be good if this box explicitly
>> mentioned OpenDefinition.org as a standard for fully open licenses -
>> e.g. for cases where there may be bespoke or custom licenses.
>
> Without wishing to re-open old wounds, the OpenDefinition isn't really appropriate in this context as it isn't strong enough as a definition for interoperability of bespoke licences. We're adopting the BOAI original definition alongside the recommendations of BOAI10 here that CC-BY is best practice (for journal *articles*...not really referring strongly to data here) ie share-alike is not "open enough" in this domain.

Point very much taken Cameron. In which case - what about
"OpenDefinition compliant 'attribution style' licensing" which
shouldn't cause interoperability issues?

Or perhaps it isn't worth broadening from CC-BY (as it might have been
a few years ago) as people are much more likely to use CC-BY than to
roll their own, which of course should be encouraged.

J.