[Open-access] [open-science] Nature Scientific Data platform and doing science with open data

Heather Morrison hgmorris at sfu.ca
Fri Apr 5 17:30:59 UTC 2013

Data, charts, and word versions of my latest Dramatic Growth of Open Access issue are posted in the SFU SUMMIT here:
http://summit.sfu.ca/item/12645

Cite away!

This took me seconds, costs nothing at all to me, saves me time as compared with working with a charging publisher (just upload, no fiddling with payment), and saves the university $ that could go towards actually paying scholars to do the work.

At 600GBP ($935 Cdn), a hundred datasets like this would cost $93,500 - or a decent salary for a junior to mid career academic. It's about time we started to connect the dots in this way - more money flowing from universities to commercial entities means less money for the actual work of the university, less for faculty salaries and to support students.

best,

Dr. Heather Morrison
Freedom for scholarship in the internet age
http://summit.sfu.ca/item/12537