[Open-access] [open-science] OKF at Open Repositories 2014

Bjoern Brembs b.brembs at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 21:11:36 UTC 2013

On Friday, December 6, 2013, 5:13:19 PM, you wrote:

>> The system hangs together with recognition, credits,
>> acknowledgement and the like.

> This seems incontrovertibly true. But why does that work
> against a centralised system of access / easier access in other forms though?

As Jan wrote: It doesn't - but understanding the socio-economic factors creating the demands on the infrastructure is crucial for getting it right.

1) Recognition, statistics, etc. is one crucial point for an industry that is built upon reputation and usually composed of number-fetishists :-) (BTW, which is why statistics of the OAButton need to be made public: people will hate it if people want to read their paper but can't)
2) Time is of the essence: researchers do not have enough time to do the work they like, because they waste too much time on work they hate. Thus, they will flock to things that save them time.

Create something that strokes our ego and simultaneously saves us time and we will follow you like a dog the sausage.

Bjoern

--
Björn Brembs
http://brembs.net