[Open-access] [open-science] OKF at Open Repositories 2014

Stacy Konkiel stacy.konkiel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 15:27:55 UTC 2013

This is a great and much-needed discussion of the ways in which IRs need to
grow (or evolve) in order to provide both depositors/authors and readers
with the functionalities they desire.

FWIW, a number of institutions in the US (including ours) are moving away
from DSpace towards Hydra, which will give the freedom of development so
that we can build the functionalities mentioned above. Everyone agrees that
the silos we've created for each institution are outdated. We're trying to
crack the nut of building repos that primarily serve authors that don't
have centralized subject repos like Dryad to deposit their scholarship,
while also allowing for greater collaboration across institutions.

One q I have for this list is what specific tasks would a researcher who
wishes to harvest IR content via API need to be able to do? Our internal
discussions about desired new IR functions don't include an API for
researchers--but that doesn't mean it _couldn't_ include such an API.
Feedback from the list would be appreciated and could inform future
development.

Also, a few points:

- In the US, there's also been a movement towards creating a searchable
federation of IRs called SHARE [1], which originally was designed to
compete with the CHORUS proposal. HOWEVER, from what I've heard, even if
SHARE dies as a CHORUS competitor, many still recognize the value inherent
in having a nationally federated IR system and the project would likely
move forward in any event. SHARE would need to ensure that its content
could be easily searched and indexed by a variety of systems beyond Google
Scholar and OAIster [2], which has sub-par search capabilities.

- I agree with both Jan that usability has been a major socio-technical
barrier for researchers to adopt the practice of making their work OA in
any repository. We (IR admins and developers) need to fix this major
problem before we can offer IRs as a solution to any problem of access or
preservation, and we DEFINITELY need to make sure our IRs are usable before
we encourage faculty to work towards enacting OA mandates.

- A reminder about why we need an open alternative to Google Scholar:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EBKkhzrBPO39NWO71423f9TLU5oiwOkNb_z5ULfomjI/edit

Warmly,
Stacy Konkiel
Science Data Management Librarian