[Open-access] [GOAL] Fight Publishing Lobby's Latest "FIRST" Act to Delay OA - Nth Successor to PRISM, RWA etc.

Eric F. Van de Velde eric.f.vandevelde at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 00:09:13 UTC 2013

Unfortunately, this is the problem of moving the discussion and
implementation of open access to the national political stage. Earlier this
year, I wrote the following (
http://scitechsociety.blogspot.com/2013/03/open-access-politics.html):

"There are also reasons for concern. As this new phase of the OA movement
unfolds on the national political stage, all sides will use their influence
and try to re-shape the initial policies to further their respective
agendas. The outcome of this political game is far from certain. Worse, the
outcome may not be settled for years, as these kind of policies are easily
reversed without significant voter backlash."

[...]

"Academic libraries, which enthusiastically supported and developed Green
OA, now enter this political arena in a weak position. The White House
memorandum all but ignores them. Before complacency sets in, there is
precious little time to argue a compelling case for independent
institutional or individual repositories preserved in a long-term archive.
After all, government-run repositories may disappear at any time for a
variety of reasons."

The political approach may be necessary to get OA enacted, but we need to
implement OA in such a way that it is immune from political influence. In
my book, that seems to be a perfect role for libraries.

--Eric.

http://scitechsociety.blogspot.com
Twitter: @evdvelde
E-mail: eric.f.vandevelde at gmail.com