[Open-access] [GOAL] Re: Fight Publishing Lobby's Latest "FIRST" Act to Delay OA - Nth Successor to PRISM, RWA etc.

Eric F. Van de Velde eric.f.vandevelde at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 16:17:37 UTC 2013

Stevan, Bernard:
My main concern is not with mandates, but with the repositories themselves.
If memory serves me right, there was at least one unsuccessful attempt to
defund the NIH-run Pubmed repository. ArXiv also had an existential crisis
when run from a government lab.

The weakness of government-run repositories is that those who want to
undermine these repositories have to be successful only once. Those who
support these OA repositories must fend off every attack.

To immunize against this, we need a distributed approach with sufficient
duplication to form an archive that is immune from any one particular
weakness. This is what libraries have always done, and should continue to
do.

Libraries have no role (except as advocates) in enacting and enforcing
mandates, but they can be useful in implementing the mandates effectively
by managing the distributed archive.

In fact, Stevan has made the same arguments against central repositories in
the past. So, I think we are all on the same wave length here up to this
point.

Where I go one step further, is in making the argument that libraries need
to get out of the digital-lending business altogether and dedicate their
efforts to the maintenance and development of the archive. See:
Where the Puck won't be
http://scitechsociety.blogspot.com/2013/10/where-puck-wont-be.html
and
Annealing the Library