[Open-access] Data expedition idea - scholarly publishing income

Cameron Neylon cn at cameronneylon.net
Thu Nov 21 16:24:26 UTC 2013

For PLOS, along with a lot of other non-profits you can get fairly detailed financial information. For US non-profits the Form 990 is required to be filed every year (you can get ones from PLOS at http://www.plos.org/about/what-is-plos/financials/ but you can get them for most organisations online) and for other countries there are often reporting requirements that mean info is available (although frequently they are paper records).

I'd support getting a good set of data together that looks across the publishing landscape.

Cheers

Cameron

[Full disclosure - I work for PLOS for anyone who doesn't know that]