[Open-access] Data expedition idea - scholarly publishing income

Bjoern Brembs b.brembs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 17:01:31 UTC 2013

On Thursday, November 21, 2013, 4:46:14 PM, you wrote:

> A few questions:
> Do you think this is a suitable topic for
> exploration?

It would be fantastic, I would even say necessary to have that sort of data just to be able to make any meaningful projection of what kinds of reform are feasible.

Especially the kind of revenue streams from scholarly journal publishing (as opposed to scholarly publishing in general) are difficult and/or expensive to obtain. I have seen such analyses from respected financial firms which cost beyond $2k to read (talk about exorbitant TA).

Open access to financial data like these will likely not be easy, but would be very valuable (and probably cost some companies a lot of money, if they can't sell their analysis, e.g. Outsell).

>   Does anyone feel strongly about this and would like to coordinate the project?

I would like to coordinate, but not being an economist, I feel highly inadequate for such a task.

Good luck!

Bjoern

--
Björn Brembs