[Open-access] Fwd: Canadaian OA reaching tipping point

Subbiah Arunachalam subbiah.arunachalam at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 11:54:18 UTC 2013

Dear Michael:

 I just read your short article “Open Access to Canada's Research Nears
Tipping Point” where I found this: “Canada’s major research funding
agencies prepare to mandate open access publishing for grant recipients
across the country.”

If it means all researchers will be required to publish in open access
journals or hybrid journals making certain articles open access for article
publishing fees, we need to be careful. Such a mandate, similar to what the
Finch Committee recommended for research in UK, will only permit commercial
publishers to retain their stranglehold over researchers and research. A
good open access mandate should mandate open access, period. That would
permit all researchers to place the full text of their papers in
institutional (or central) OA repositories.

Regards.

 Arun