[Open-access] special issue on publishing reform in 'publication'?

Bjoern Brembs b.brembs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 10:17:31 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I've just been invited to edit a special issue in the MDPI journal 'publications' on a topic I can specify. If I do it, I thought it should revolve around replacing journal rank (i.e., altmetrics, ALM, etc.) and other (technical?) means to transcend a journal-based literature towards a coherent knowledge-dissemination infrastructure that incorporates of course text, but also software and data.

However, I'm a little hesitant as I don't have no experience with the publisher:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPI
http://www.mdpi.com/about/

nor the journal:

http://www.mdpi.com/journal/publications

I can see that Heather Morrison has published in there, but that's about it.

I'm also doubtful as to which authors would be interested in submitting what to such a special issue.

What do you think, should I do it? If so, who of you would be interested in contributing? If you have access to any other mailing lists or different means of dissemination, please by all means do send this around the various 'open' communities. I'll blog something and tweet it to see what the resonance from that end might be.

I'm not sure I'm the right guy, but I'd let myself be convinced to try it anyway :-)

Many thanks in advance,

Bjoern

--
Björn Brembs