[Open-access] special issue on publishing reform in publication'?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 5 19:49:58 UTC 2013

OK,
Let's take this as an example of the pluses and minuses of journals.

I am not a supporter of the journal as container. We need to find ways of
assessing the article without the journal. In the current case I have read
the titles of the current articles and the authors. On a quick skim they
look worthy articles, honestly written. I would tend to trust the author's
judgments as to what they write and rely on referees to pick up possible
problems.

For reference I did an invited article for Serials Review (Elsevier) about
3-4 years ago - before I joined the boycott. The experience was awful. It
was an open access issue and (I believe) we were promised the articles
would always be visible. In fact they put them behind a paywall after a few
months. I spent about 100 emails trying to get the journal to accept HTML
as the submission format.  AFAICR there was no peer-review that changed the
article - it went in as submitted.

So I have an article in SR. No-one reads it. The JIF is a staggering 0.9 or
something (not that I care). More people have read it on Nature Preceedings
and DSpace @ cam than ever anyone did on Elsevier's pages (they don't gives
stats anyway).

So I have everything to gain by moving to MDPI. People will or will not
read the article because of what's in it, not because the publisher earns
billions USD / year. They might even make their decision because Bjorn is
the  editor and I am the  author.