[Open-access] [open-science] special issue on publishing reform in publication'?

Peter Suber peter.suber at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 16:36:10 UTC 2013

I'm on the editorial board of MDPI's _Publications_.
http://www.mdpi.com/journal/publications/editors

So are some other people I know and trust, including Bo-Christer
Björk, Andrée Rathemacher, and Carol Tenopir. (BTW, the entry for me on the
editorial board web page is out of date.)

I was introduced to MDPI years ago by Francis Muguet, a completely honest
and very hard-working chemist, lawyer, and activist for OA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Muguet

I've seen blog discussions on whether MDPI is (or is becoming) predatory.
I'm sensitive to these. On the one hand, I've seen no evidence to date that
MDPI is a dishonest operation. On the other hand, as soon as I do, I'm
prepared to step down.

In that sense, I welcome further discussion of MDPI's track record. Every
journal should be open to continual scrutiny. At the same time, I'm
delighted that Bjorn will guest-edit an issue of _Publications_.

     Peter S.

Peter Suber
bit.ly/petersuber