[Open-access] Open Science Anthology published

Pierre-Carl Langlais pierrecarl.langlais at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 12:09:34 UTC 2014

Sorry for hacking the topic, but I've always wondered why CC-BY became
the standard of Open Access and not CC-BY-SA. This license is not viral:
it allows the republication under any kind of intellectual protection
(including copyright) and, therefore, the re-establishment of
enclosures. That's not really the kind of disposition that would ensure
an healthy open access ecosystem, especially considering the current
open washing frenzy. CC-BY is a real blessing for scientific social
network, that are prone to enclose a once-free content in order to drain
personal data. Even the public domain greets more protection, as
copyfraud tends to be more and more discredited.

I might sound heterodox, but, by this concern, I even prefer CC-NC to
CC-BY… At least, the license includes some kind of virality, even if NC
remains a much poorer protection than SA.

PCL