[Open-access] Open Science Anthology published

Laurent Romary laurent.romary at inria.fr
Sun Jan 19 13:12:34 UTC 2014

Because as long as the/your original source is online with CC-BY you don’t care about further use; you just mention that you would like/prefer (unless you have very strong lawyers, which you probably don’t) to be cited. By making something viral or making it NC you prevent a huge potential group of users to just consider your resource for use. Remember that such users may be under other constraints than us guys, data-liberals, and be forced by their institutions, company etc. to just have other licensing schemes (the usual example concerning NC of a University (UK ;-)) selling courses at high prices to foreign students).
If you want others to be CC-BY aficionados, just evangelize, don’t coerce.
Hope you have a sunny Sunday. It’s grey here in Berlin,
Laurent

Le 19 janv. 2014 à 13:09, Pierre-Carl Langlais <pierrecarl.langlais at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Sorry for hacking the topic, but I've always wondered why CC-BY became the standard of Open Access and not CC-BY-SA. This license is not viral: it allows the republication under any kind of intellectual protection (including copyright) and, therefore, the re-establishment of enclosures. That's not really the kind of disposition that would ensure an healthy open access ecosystem, especially considering the current open washing frenzy. CC-BY is a real blessing for scientific social network, that are prone to enclose a once-free content in order to drain personal data. Even the public domain greets more protection, as copyfraud tends to be more and more discredited.
>
> I might sound heterodox, but, by this concern, I even prefer CC-NC to CC-BY… At least, the license includes some kind of virality, even if NC remains a much poorer protection than SA.
>
> PCL
>
> Le 19/01/14 12:51, Pal Lykkja a écrit :
>> What is the problem with CC-NC if it will be possible to reuse like TDM throught copyright exceptions that EU are working for?
>>
>> Pål Lykkja
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Sounds useful.
>>
>> One comment. CC-NC is not Open Access under BOAI- and OKD- definitions. I'd urge you to make the book CC-BY. If there are reasons that you can't do this, please drop the term "Open Access" and call it "free-of-charge". CC-NC forbids many forms of redistribution and re-use
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM, Ulrich Herb <u.herb at scinoptica.com> wrote:
>> Dear lists,
>>
>> perhaps this might be of interest: Yesterday an anthology on Open Science was published: "Opening Science - The Evolving Guide on How the Internet is Changing Research, Collaboration and Scholarly Publishing". It has been edited by Sönke Bartling from the German Cancer Research Center in Heidelberg and  Sascha Friesike, researcher at the Alexander von Humboldt Institute in Berlin. The anthology knows four manifestations: it is available as a printed book,  as an Open Access e-Book or PDF collection under a CC BY-NC license, and as an editable living document via Github. for further information please visit:
>> http://www.openingscience.org/get-the-book/
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Ulrich Herb
>>
>> --
>> scinoptica science consulting and publishing consulting
>> POB 10 13 13
>> D-66013 Saarbrücken
>> Germany
>> http://www.scinoptica.com/pages/en/start.php
>> +49-(0)157 30306851
>> http://twitter.com/#!/scinoptica
>>
>> ---
>> Diese E-Mail ist frei von Viren und Malware, denn der avast! Antivirus Schutz ist aktiv.

>> --
>> Peter Murray-Rust
>> Reader in Molecular Informatics
> [...]

Laurent Romary