[Open-access] [open-science] Open Science Anthology published

Heather Morrison Heather.Morrison at uottawa.ca
Fri Jan 24 20:44:17 UTC 2014

hi Emanuil,

Thank you for your kind words, and it is a good point that most people do not understand copyright (it is a contested concept, so I would argue that it is not possible to fully understand copyright - potential major changes to copyright law internationally are under discussion through the trans pacific partnership, for example.

It would be nice to make things simple for people, but not worth it if the simple solution opens up the potential for re-enclosure of the whole system as CC-BY does.

Also please note that CC-BY is not as simple as people think. Scholars use CC-BY and are shocked when they see people selling their work, even though they have authorized this.

Even attribution is not as simple as people think. A common argument I've heard for CC-BY is to permit blanket inclusion of CC-BY works into Wikipedia. The argument is that the CC-BY license is compatible with Wikipedia's CC-BY-SA. It is correct that the licenses are compatible, however the norm for attribution for scholarly works is to attribute the author, whereas with wikipedia the norm is to attribute Wikipedia; individual contributors are anonymous for all practical purposes.

CC-BY works invoke author moral rights. If you use rights under CC-BY that authors do not like, the author has legal recourse. It is probably not correct to state that authors always want attribution of their works. If you'd like to take my work and make a creative wordle with it, for example, I might like what you do with this (and value attribution), or dislike it and not want attribution, but not want to forbid the work as it might be very difficult to connect the derivative with the original.

When people advocate for CC-BY an example I do not see, which I would consider to be the most likely derivative in a CC-BY future, is the co-authored article, where one scholar releases an article and another decides to change it and re-publish, attributing the original author and adding their name. This to me is a paradigmatic example of a derivative, but not at all simple in practice.

Another complexity is that CC-BY works (any copyrighted work) can include third party material. Even in the simplest case (a CC-BY work included in another CC-BY work), there are two different cases for attribution. However many CC-BY works include elements of other works that are not CC-BY licensed (and not to do so would include a lot of works). There are also rights related to, but not the same as, copyright. For example, a photo in a CC-BY work may include other rights such as rights of the person(s) whose photos were taken. In addition to legal rights, with scholarly works there are also ethical considerations. If you think copyright is complicated, try reading a funding agency's ethical guidelines (the Canadian tricouncil's guidance document is about 174 pages, I believe).

One example of how CC-BY can actually decrease rights is when people looking for simplicity use CC-BY licenses on works that are in the public domain. This is an assertion of copyright of works in the public domain.

If we want changes in international copyright that would make all of our lives simpler (I do!) the two steps that I suggest would be difficult to achieve but have the greatest possible effect: eliminate automatic copyright (may have been a good idea with the Berne convention in 1886, but not today as a very great many works are created with copyright where the creator has no clue that this is the case) and shorten the term of copyright.

best,

Heather Morrison