[Open-access] Crowdsourcing request + BMJ OA Policy

Seb Schmoller seb at schmoller.net
Sat Mar 22 10:23:32 UTC 2014

Here is another example of this kind of problem in "Handbook of Social
Media for Researchers and Super-visors" by Shailey Minocha and Marian
Petre, published by the Open University and funded by Vitae:

http://oro.open.ac.uk/34271/1/Vitae-Innovate-Open-University-Social-Media-Handbook-2012.pdf

 From page 4 onwards it has this weird formulation in the footer:

"Material from this document may be freely reproduced, in any medium, by
UK higher education institutions only, strictly for their own
non-commercial training and development purposes, subject to
acknowledgement of copyright. Materials may be adapted
for your own non-commercial use provided that the original source
and copyright is acknowledged. If material is required for use
outside the UK higher education sector, and/or for commercial use,
please contact The Open University (OU) at +44(0)8453006090 Released
under a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial ShareAlike 3.0
Unported licence by the OU."

The problem is compounded by the fact the handbook is aimed specifically
at early career researchers whose understanding of CC won't be helped if
they read these terms.

Seb Schmoller

Seb Schmoller
312 Albert Road, Sheffield, S8 9RD, UK