[Open-access] Crowdsourcing request + BMJ OA Policy

Cameron Neylon cn at cameronneylon.net
Mon Mar 24 15:38:17 UTC 2014

From:  Michelle Brook <michelle.brook at okfn.org>
> Quickly I'd say he's using dollars rather than pounds (original data set
> released in pounds, so seems odd to make the transition, given that we don't
> know when the individual fees were paid, so can't know overall conversion
> rates).

As a quick aside the exchange rate effect is substantial. You can look at a
set of papers (say e.g. PLOS NTDs) once you weed out the ones that are
obviously just wrong (over £1800) and those for which it looks like there
was either joint billing or some level of fee assistance you can see a set
that differ substantially over time. Given that the figures were reported in
GBP and that presumably reflects the actual costs incurred by the
institution I¹d definitely stick with that.

Cheers

Cameron