[Open-access] Crowdsourcing request + BMJ OA Policy

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Tue Mar 25 09:01:11 UTC 2014

On 25 March 2014 08:46, Douglas Carnall <dougie.carnall at gmail.com> wrote:
> MT> Of course the old version-of-record system is just the degenerate
> MT> version of this scheme, where the only version number is 1.
>
> Be fair! And published corrections, retractions, and errata slips. :)  And
> salami publication. :(

Ah yes, corrections!

In 2009, my 20-page reassessment of Brachiosaurus was published in the
Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, fifteen months after initial
submission. (Five months from submission to acceptance, ten months in
press.)

Then a blog commenter pointed out a trivial error of nomenclature,
which I thought I ought to set straight. So I sent a half-page
correction to the journal. This actually took LONGER to be accepted
than the original paper (seven months), although thankfully the
in-press period was "only" four months this time.

That's insane. A simple correction to a point of fact should have been
published *immediately* on receipt. A delay of perhaps three days, so
an editor could cast a quick eye over it, would be reasonable. More
than that is not.

-- Mike.