[Open-access] Crowdsourcing request + BMJ OA Policy

Douglas Carnall dougie.carnall at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 08:46:31 UTC 2014

PMR>Many submitters then update their papers to reflect better versions.

And this is the dizzying void which has opened up at everyone's feet since
the advent of electronic publication. While such practices doubtless better
reflect the actual thought and working processes of scientists, five
hundred years or so of the stable referencing enabled by faithful printing
on paper is perhaps not to be discarded too lightly: let's not forget that
Elsevier got started by publishing Galileo, and that Copernicus' work was
largely inspired by the reproduction of astronomical tables made newly
possible by the printing press.

For example, these taxonomists:

http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/list/2013/3735%281%29.html

recently railed against the "completely unstable and unpredictable new
world of ephemera" , and they may have a point.

It's clear enough that a powerful external publisher function is valuable,
as is a considered, canonical text; but it's also quite clear that the old
guard's rent-seeking is intolerable in the current era, quite apart from
the hindrances they impose upon scientific communication as they scrabble
to retain their relevance in a new technological era.

MT> Of course the old version-of-record system is just the degenerate
MT> version of this scheme, where the only version number is 1.

Be fair! And published corrections, retractions, and errata slips. :)  And
salami publication. :(

Regards to all,

D.

Douglas Carnall