[Open-access] Crowdsourcing request + BMJ OA Policy

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 25 09:02:01 UTC 2014

Mike. Sorry - I was referring to my post on this blog. I.e. I made a
statement I believed to be roughly true and am happy to be corrected. I
probably should have said "I believe that ..."

In some disciplines versions of record are critical. In others they have
little value. If the authors are publishing a formal statement that will be
useful for the community as authoritative , it should be stamped. But many
papers would benefit from updating. e.g. "we've had problems with impure
chemical X from supplier Y in 2011. When did you buy yours?" "Good point -
we bought ours in 2012, so didn't encounter that problem - at your
suggestion we've now repeated with their latest 2014 batch without problem.
 we'll update the paper".

In many cases the version of record is a compromise between the complete
reporting of everything and what can be done with the resources available
and the (appalling) pressure to publish. It is not scriptural.