[Open-access] Open Access resources

Michelle Brook michelle.brook at okfn.org
Thu May 22 08:07:31 UTC 2014

Hey all,

*Summary - I'm looking for engaging open access resources for non experts,
especially those aimed at humanities and social sciences. Can you help
<https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/12aPoB2VKoF7vkWN4gEm1hDzGnYaEU-bOYak4zrazEOA/edit#>?
*

I'm looking for open access resources which are engaging, and can help
convince a sceptical academic audience about why they should support open
access and care about academic publishing. These will go up on a couple of
websites, including the Open Access Working Group, and a upcoming site
targeted at engaging those who don't spend their life thinking about
scholarly publication.

I've been looking but I keep getting stuck. Much of what I find is rather
dense, contains confusing language etc. I was hoping members of the working
group might know of further examples/ideas.

We are looking for materials that target humanities and social scientists,
as well as scientists. These might be videos, flyers, posters, or
slidedecks for talks that have been given (with appropriate licenses). I've
been starting to collect these here:
https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/12aPoB2VKoF7vkWN4gEm1hDzGnYaEU-bOYak4zrazEOA/edit#

Any ideas *really* gratefully received. I'm sure lots of people on this
mailing list know of resources they use when talking to academics about
this issue.

I'm also looking to understand what resources haven't been created, and
what other gaps there are. What do people think they really could use for
advocacy work? Again there is space for this on the spreadsheet - or feel
free to ping me an email separately.

For the time being, I'm mainly looking for resources in English. If you
know of any interesting non-English resources, feel free to add them, but
there will be a specific call for these in a few months time.

If anyone has a problem with using Google Docs, let me know and I'll ping
you across a .odt version of the document.

Best,
Michelle

--

*Michelle Brook*