[Open-access] Open Access resources

E. Hoorn E.Hoorn at rug.nl
Thu May 22 08:30:18 UTC 2014

Hi Michelle,

Good initiative!

There is a SPARC brochure for OA in Humanities:
http://sparceurope.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Humanities-BP-final-PDF.pdf

I recently published an article in the Webjournal of current legal
issues about Diamond Open Access in the field of Law and the possible
role for librarians:

Diamond open access and open peer review: An analysis of the role of
copyright and librarians in the support of a shift towards open access
in the legal domain.
http://webjcli.org//article/view/302

Working on this article I found this article by Martin Eve to be very
useful. It was published in a OA-book specially for OA in Humanities

Eve, M. P. (2013). Before the law: Open access, quality control and the
future of peer review (Debating Open Access by the British Academy).
https://www.martineve.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Debating-Open-Access-Eve-Before-the-law-open-access-quality-control-and-the-future-of-peer-review-June-2013.pdf

Best regards,
Esther

On 22-5-2014 10:07, Michelle Brook wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> *Summary - I'm looking for engaging open access resources for non
> experts, especially those aimed at humanities and social sciences. Can
> you help
> <https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/12aPoB2VKoF7vkWN4gEm1hDzGnYaEU-bOYak4zrazEOA/edit#>? *
>
> I'm looking for open access resources which are engaging, and can help
> convince a sceptical academic audience about why they should support
> open access and care about academic publishing. These will go up on a
> couple of websites, including the Open Access Working Group, and a
> upcoming site targeted at engaging those who don't spend their life
> thinking about scholarly publication.
>
> I've been looking but I keep getting stuck. Much of what I find is
> rather dense, contains confusing language etc. I was hoping members of
> the working group might know of further examples/ideas.
>
> We are looking for materials that target humanities and social
> scientists, as well as scientists. These might be videos, flyers,
> posters, or slidedecks for talks that have been given (with
> appropriate licenses). I've been starting to collect these
> here: https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/12aPoB2VKoF7vkWN4gEm1hDzGnYaEU-bOYak4zrazEOA/edit#
>
> Any ideas *really* gratefully received. I'm sure lots of people on
> this mailing list know of resources they use when talking to academics
> about this issue.
>
> I'm also looking to understand what resources haven't been created,
> and what other gaps there are. What do people think they really could
> use for advocacy work? Again there is space for this on the
> spreadsheet - or feel free to ping me an email separately.
>
> For the time being, I'm mainly looking for resources in English. If
> you know of any interesting non-English resources, feel free to add
> them, but there will be a specific call for these in a few months time.
>
> If anyone has a problem with using Google Docs, let me know and I'll
> ping you across a .odt version of the document.
>
> Best,
> Michelle
>
> --
> *
>
> Michelle Brook
>
> **
>
> Science and Open Access
>
> **
>
>  | @MLBrook <https://twitter.com/MLBrook>
>
> **
>
> TheOpen Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>
>
> Empowering through Open Knowledge
>
> http://okfn.org/ |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN> |  OKF on Facebook
> <https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> | Blog
> <http://blog.okfn.org/> | Newsletter <http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>
>

> *

RUG E-mail-ondertekening NL

mr. Esther Hoorn
Algemeen Bestuurlijke en Juridische Zaken
ma, di, wo, do

Rijksuniversiteit Groningen

Bureau van de Universiteit
ABJZ

Office of the University, Legal Affairs, Oude Boteringestraat 44, 9712
GL Groningen The Netherlands
+31 50 363 9155
http://www.rug.nl/staff/e.hoorn/