[Open-access] [open-science] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

E. Hoorn E.Hoorn at rug.nl
Tue May 6 08:43:23 UTC 2014

Wouter, Jeroen,

There is a WIPO study on fair use and limitations for educational use,
which gives an overview of the regulation worldwide.

Study on Copyright Limitations and Exceptions for Educational Activities
in North America, Europe, Caucasus, Central Asia and Israel Raquel
Xalabarder, Professor of Law, Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC),
Barcelona, Spain
http://www.wipo.int/meetings/en/doc_details.jsp?doc_id=130393

For the Netherlands there is a limitation on copyright for educational
use in the Dutch Copyright Act. But the downside is that one of the
conditions is that a fair remuneration is paid. We recently agreed on a
new national deal. Over the coming years the amount decreases, because
we expect that there will be more Open Access material available. There
will be a working group of publishers and university representatives,
with the task -amongst others- to monitor this.

Esther

On 3-5-2014 22:17, Gerritsma, Wouter wrote:
> Jeroen, Egon
>
> But, I don't think you are allowed to distribute these readers/coursepacks/syllabi openly in digital format to the web.
> So it is still very restrictive.
>
> Wouter

RUG E-mail-ondertekening NL

mr. Esther Hoorn
Algemeen Bestuurlijke en Juridische Zaken
ma, di, wo, do

Rijksuniversiteit Groningen

Bureau van de Universiteit
ABJZ

Office of the University, Legal Affairs, Oude Boteringestraat 44, 9712
GL Groningen The Netherlands
+31 50 363 9155
http://www.rug.nl/staff/e.hoorn/